How to Take Action for Affordable Housing Week
Welcome to Affordable Housing Week 2016! For the week of May 16-22, cities across King County are banding together to fight for affordable housing in our region.
Through City Council meetings, community events, and social media, advocates will highlight the need for affordable housing that exists in each of our cities. By increasing attention to this issue and working together, across communities and across sectors, we can bring forward policy solutions and turn the tide to ensure all people have access to a safe, healthy, affordable home.
Ready to be part of the action? Here are some ways to highlight the need for affordable housing in your city.
- Attend your City Council meeting and testify in support of more affordable housing. Looking for a full calendar of meetings? Find it here. Nervous about testifying? Check out our tips for first-time advocates.
- Send a letter to your Councilmembers about the importance of affordable housing. (Click here to select your city. After you sign up, you can send your letter.)
- Write an op-ed in support of affordable housing in your community.
- Share your story about changes in your neighborhood and the need for affordable housing with KUOW’s Region of Boom project.
- Attend the kick-off event on at 12 pm on May 16 at Hirabayashi Place. (Register here.)
- Attend the Elected Officials Reception at 4:30 pm on May 19 at El Centro de la Raza, sponsored by the Washington State Housing Finance Commission. (Register here.)
- Use social media to spread the word, using the hashtag #Homes4ALLKC. Make sure you’re signed up to receive more information about social media actions!
Are you an elected official? Here are some additional ways to participate:
- Sign a proclamation on May 16 or 17 declaring May 16-22 as Affordable Housing Week.
- Plan activities in your city for the week to bring awareness to this critical need.
- Propose legislation related to affordable housing during the week.
- Mention Affordable Housing Week during press conferences.
- Looking for more information or ideas? Click here to email HDC staff.
Affordable Housing Week 2016
Letter of Invitation
Calendar of City Council Meetings
Affordable Housing Week – Social Media Guide
Local Policy Toolkit
Housing Data Resources
Tips for First-Time Advocates
Calendar of Events
2016 State Advocacy Priorities
King County Advocacy Priorities
Mental Health & Drug Dependency Renewal
Sound Transit 3 – Transit Oriented Development
Seattle For Everyone