Black Homeownership Initiative
We aspire to reach a time when the homeownership rates for Black communities in Washington state will be equal to those of their white peers.
In this session moderated by Michelle Merriweather (Urban League), panelist discuss systemic barriers to Black homeownership and offer solutions to equitably address the crisis. Panelists are Darryl Smith (HomeSight), Donald King (Nehemiah Initiative Seattle & Coalition for More Housing Choices), and Nicole Bascomb-Green (US Bank & National Assoc. of Real Estate Brokers).
We encourage you to refer to the following background materials:
- Welcome to Project 10X | Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
- BIPOC Homeownership Summit Background (CMHC)
- Racial Wealth Divide in Seattle (Prosperity Now)
- 60% Black Homeownership: A Radical Goal for Black Wealth Development (NCRC)
- Housing Needs Assessment Report (PolicyMap)
- Outcome | Individual Income & Wealth (Boston Consulting Group)
- 2020 State of Housing in Black America (NAREB)
- Increasing Homeownership Opportunities for BIPOC Communities: Pre-Summit Survey
- HDC Homeownership Affinity Group 2021 Priorities and Innovative Projects
- Black Homeownership Rate Hits Lowest Level Since the 1960s—That’s Unlikely to Change in Pandemic Year 2 (MarketWatch)
- Black Homeownership Pushed by Florida Housing Coalition (The Miami Times)
Unable to attend the event on June 30? Check out the recording below.
This effort is led by the Coalition for More Housing Choices, in partnership with the following organizations: