Open Call for Board of Director Nominations
Nominate Yourself or a Colleague to Join HDC’s Board in 2024
In our continuing efforts to create a strong, diverse, and representative governing board, HDC is excited to announce that we are now accepting nominations for a slate of 1-2 candidates to join our Board of Directors in 2024! Our work has never been more vital, and board service provides an opportunity for leaders in the housing sector to leverage their skills, experiences, and connections to make an impact.
Read on or view the full Open Nomination Announcement for more information.
Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2023
- Any employee of a member organization in good standing (must have consent of supervisor and knowledge of current member representative).
- Able to agree to and abide by the HDC Board Member Commitments and Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies, and serve as member representative.
- Willing and able to serve at least one 3-year board term, including attendance at 6 bi-monthly board meetings and 1 full day board retreat, joining 1 board committee, attending 1 quarterly member meeting annually, attending quarterly equity trainings, and participating in other occasional special meetings and activities.
- Participate in board advocacy, assist with fundraising efforts, and make a personal financial or in-kind contribution to HDC.
- Have not completed 3 consecutive 3-year terms of HDC board service in the last 3 years.
Desired Qualifications, Characteristics, and Representation
- Demonstrated leadership ability, capacity, and commitment to the mission and vision of HDC.
- Ability to represent a cross-section of member organizations’ work, interests, and expertise.
- Priority professional backgrounds for 2024 include accounting, fund development, nonprofit low-income service providers, and supportive housing.
- Priority representation includes community-based organizations; diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) focus/experience; disability services/representation; and sub-regional geographic representation (e.g., East King County, South King County).
- Will increase the racial, gender, geographic, socio-economic, and general diversity of the board.
- Will add to the board in terms of styles and perspectives, including an understanding of critical issues in the sector, thinking innovatively to solve problems, connections to various resources in the community, and actively networking across industries and sectors.
- An understanding of and interest in advancing HDC’s 2022-2025 Strategic Plan, especially its equity-based components.
- As HDC is a membership association, candidates should understand the need to govern with a mindset that holds space for the diverse stakeholders that comprise the organization, have a collaborative working style that fosters positive network building and cross-sector engagement, and create value for association members through policy, advocacy, and member services.
Timeline and Process
- Nominations accepted from August 14 through Friday, September 29, 2023.
- Candidates may apply for themselves or be nominated by an employee of any member organization.
- Nominations must be submitted via this online form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BJVK2MN.
- Once submitted, nominees will receive confirmation of the receipt of their materials.
- Advancing nominees will be invited to interview in late September and October and may be asked to participate in further interviews or submit additional information.
- The Nominating Committee will recommend a slate of nominees to join the board for board approval on November 1. All nominees will be advised of their status on or shortly after that date.
- Members will vote to give final approval of the slate of recommended candidates at the December Annual Member Meeting (exact date and time TBD).
If you have technical difficulty, questions, or require assistance, contact Paige España: [email protected], 206-636-1004.
We look forward to receiving and reviewing your applications!